Tuesday 5 August 2008

Busy, fun filled, weekend....




What a busy weekend I had! Went to stay with a friend(Mandi) and we managed to try out Rust Dyeing as described in detail by Lynda (Purplemissus Blog) using Caustic soda, teabags and ferrous sulphate. Here are just a few snaps of my wonderful uncontrollable results. Due to inclement weather we were forced to do it inside with windows and doors open i hasten to add but the aroma isn't terribly pleasant i have to say
The first photo is one of fabric that was pre soaked in a washing soda solution prior to dunking. As you can see the russet tones are really vibrant. The second photo is of a selection of handmade papers and vilene plus a rather nice paper towel courtesy of Premier Lodge, many thanks! The final one is of fabric thats been pre-soaked in a vinegar solution, Lynda suggests white vinegar but ours was half white and half malt as that was all we had and can be very resourceful, not sure if it makes a difference.
I much prefer the "latte" colours of the paper and vinegar soaked fabrics. Thanks Lynda for fab tuition we had great time.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Val said...

WOW Dot! what fabulous results. I love them all but I really do love the middle pic. of the papers - love the way that blue gets in there. That Lynda really is a star I must admit! Val

Mandi said...

We certainly did flower! So looking forward to our next creative weekend.

Purple Missus said...

These all look fabulous Dot. I love the papers, they are superb.
I think the malt vinegar must have had an effect as you have some lovely markings on there. I too look forward to seeing what you do on your next creative weekend :)

maggiepatch said...

What a great time you had.Lovely effects.